Running Away From Home

I ran away from home twice.. I guess I was a precocious child, I listened to directions and rules very carefully. Then I would figure out some way to do exactly what I really wanted to do..within the rules. The first time I ran away from home I was just four years old, one of the rules was I could not go on the highway. A safety rule. Well there were kids (Far Guys Cousins) that lived on the farm on the next corner, I liked to visit them. So I figured out that by cutting through the pasture, I could skirt the highway which was forbidden, and reach their house. What I didn’t count on was an encounter with a barbed wire fence that ensnared my britches. I was stuck..and teetering..with my feet almost on the ground and my butt in the air… and I was silent. Very silent. So silent that when my Mother called for me I would not answer….I guess I knew I was already in trouble..so what the heck. Luckily I had on red britches and my moving up and down finally got her attention. She must have saved me from the wretched barbed wire that foiled my play plans.
The second time, I was much older…probably six. We were living in a small town for the summer, while my Dad was working Road Construction. I had made friends with an elderly lady that lived near the Park, she was really nice. She had the most beautiful apple trees in her yard, late in the Summer her apple trees were full of apples. We had been talking about the apples most of the summer and had a plan to pick them together. So one day we did, I very proudly took a big bag of apples back to my Mother to bake a pie. She had a cow…she thought that I had stolen the apples. I received an unjust punishment..and was instructed to return the apples. I did, and I explained to my little old lady friend that my Mom thought I was a thief…all of which was terribly embarrassing and upsetting to me because it was so untrue. So I ran away. I stopped by to visit one of my friends a boy about my age, and I told him good bye, and we ate frog legs together. So with a full belly I began my journey north. I made it a mile or two, and ran into the road construction, and sat down under one of the construction signs, twilight was nearing and the smudge pots were lit…that’s when and where my Father found me.
I don’t remember ever threatening to run away from home like some kids do. However I was very strong willed, and with the case of the apples, I was not a thief.. and I was bound and determined to prove that I was not. I believe I recall my little old lady friend having my Mother over for coffee and explaining about the apples, that they were something earned and freely given.
So you are saying to yourself about this time..what is the point?
Mothers and Fathers are sometimes too caught up in their jobs, and problems to REALLY stop and listen to their children. You expect your children to be good listeners, you should be a good listener for them too. Be careful what you say, and how you say it. Explain the rules, and if you have a precocious free thinking child BEWARE:)

9 Responses to Running Away From Home

Good story! I only threated to run away from home and when I went upstairs and packed a little cardboard suitcase,came downstairs with it and appeared before my mother in all my pre-schooler’s rebellion, she broke down laughing and defeated me immediately! I was more than a strong willed child—I was a dramatic one to boot!

3. Abra La Mente says:

I too, ran away, when I was about 8 to ten…I wish I could remember exactly. My older brother was picking on me, and I wrote a note to my mom saying I was going to run away; my brother came out and said no one really cared if I did. (I don’t think my mom knew he told me that). I was “gone” for days. I would sleep in the abandoned car in the back yeard at night, then creep out early in the morning, and venture around to friends’ homes. My siblings would sneak me a little food. I’d hang out in the neighborhood at night, playing the nightly hide and seek, etc. Long story short, my parents knew where I was the whole time, and were patiently trying to “outwait” me. About the third or fourth evening, I received a directive via a sibling, that the game was over: either I come in, or my dad would come out and get me. I remember feeling surprised that they knew where I was. Oh, the innocence of childhood in the 60s.

Gosh, sometimes I still feel like running away; I just know the problems would still be there when I returned, so what’s the point!

4. Farguy says:

I ran away once but then realized I would miss all the love and good food. That was yesterday.

B Gal, You packed? You were an organized drama queen!
    Abra, The curse of the older brother picking on you. Half my life I wished for an older brother..only got two youngers brothers, I picked on one of them, the other was too little and too perfect to pick on. (He lives next door now!)

Thanks gals for sharing your running away stories I enjoyed them!!

Far Guy..Sometimes I feel like running away too..especially when I have to cook!

6. Farguy says:

calm down and start the microwave.

7. East Side Professor says:

Yes, I ran away… and spent the night in the woods… ticks, flies and all, I was gone a little over 12 hours. I did it because my parents had moved me from my friends, I felt alone and my cat had died… I felt as though no one cared, so obviously they wouldn’t miss me either. I thought how they handled it was interesting… no one was mad… I didn’t get “grounded.” My only real and really effective punishment is the fact that I am a very guilty Lutheran and in the yard by the clothes line my grandfather told me I had almost given him a heart attack, and I had better never do that again. That was the moment I realized I had hurt someone as much as I was hurting inside… and I had done that to him…

Professor: I always thought is was we Catholics that were the “guilty” ones; nice to hear Lutherans suffer that affliction, as well.;-)

9. Avatar of Katrina Katrina says:

Even grown-ups run away. I did, too, in May 2008, to “find myself” after being widowed and having a rough time of it. I “found” me in San Diego and then returned to Duluth after a couple of years. But I remember running away as a very little kid, like you did, just to explore and try my wings. It’s a great learning experience!