A Carved Santa

A carved ornament, My Uncle Otto gave this to me in 2002. I used to carve with him twice a month..we had a whole group of wood carvers. He used to sharpen my knives for me..he kept them in great shape, he lived just a few miles away..if I got stuck and didn’t know where to remove wood next..he was always available. He was a great teacher…actually he was a teacher and a Principal all his life. I had to learn how to sharpen my pocket knives for grafting trees a long time ago… and I guess I should take a class on sharpening wood carving knives too. I enjoy carving..I recently took all my knives in to be sharpened…I haven’t felt much like carving since he died..but perhaps it is time. I will have to buy a box of band-aids:)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A Carved Santa

1. Abra La Mente says:

I love that Santa! What a nice reminder of your Uncle Otto! I love woodcrafts, but I am not very good at them – I suppose patience would help!My dad has always dabbled in carving, mostly fish decoys, which are amazing!

2. billybones says:

My grandpa was an accomplished carver, unfortunately he passed away when I was a wee small rug rodent. I have had to learn a little on my own, and occasionally dabble with it….I like making santa heads..
    hope you are having a wonderful holiday season…i haven’t stopped by here much as of late as I am completing my master’s degree…..last paper due this week.

3. pyro says:

i wish otto was still around to teach me a thing or two about woodworking. far guy does a great job too!

That is a great Santa ornament and a great story.
    What a good memory for you and you had the opportunity to learn a craft from someone you loved.

5. Ann says:

Your one talented lady. Thats one craft I never tried.I’ve bought hand carved snata for my grandsons.

6. Sarah says:

Get going and you will be ready for the Blackduck Woodcarver’s Festival the last Saturday in July. Highly worth attending for everyone, regardless of interest in carving.