A Lost Art

Last summer I had the unique opportunity to meet someone who practices a lost art. I met her before I found out that she had a blog, she had been taking a little time off from her photo blog..but she is back again.. she is a very talented photographer too!

I took some photos the day that I met her at The Lake Itasca Pioneer Farmers Show. I was amazed at her handiwork. One of the things that is on my list of things to do is to call my local Community Education Program and request that she give a class. I spoke to a few of my cousins, they are all quite interested in attending a class..I just need to find an old wheel now..

Faylin weaves round rag rugs on a wheel. She was giving a demonstration. I do not begin to remember everything that she told me. I do know that she made it all look fairly simple and it is an art that I am sure that I would enjoy learning. She lives in North Dakota.. and her blog is called Picture The  Promises. Pop on over to her blog and say hi you will be glad that you did! :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Lost Art

So many “lost arts” came from times of poverty and deprivation (like the GReat Depression) when “use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without” was the watchword of an entire generation, or more. Beautiful pictures of the braided rugs.

2. Ann says:

I have a wheel all ready to go.Either my wheel is larger then hers out my arms are shorter. Only maded one rug. Should try again some time. Would like to try making a half so it could go up against a wall.

I did go to her blog and left her a comment. I suggested she make a video of her making the rag rugs. Great post. Thanks.

4. ineeda says:

I’ve wanted to know how to make those kind of rugs for years. Thanks for the post, Farside!!

5. PrairieWoman says:

Now that is one talented lady. I wonder if she would want to demonstrate her braiding talent at our event next year. I’ll hang onto her blog information and see later.

Thanks for sharing her blog. I enjoyed seeing her wonderful photography talent too.

6. Avatar of roxane s. roxane s. says:

Far Side, that is something! Wow. I love being shown such talent. We all have loads of creativity within us. It’s just a matter of tapping into it. Oh, thanks for introducing yourself on my blog too, even though I know you already. I always love hearing from you. :)

Very cool

8. gene48 says:

It sure looks like Yosemite Falls to me.