That is correct..I finished the blankety-blank curtains. Far Guy did such a great job upstairs finishing the window trim..I told him I would have the curtains sewn by Thanksgiving..well that didn’t happen..but I did get them done in time for Christmas. They are up..it was a struggle. I designed them..they are lined..I will never line another thing in my entire life. I got better using a seam ripper..I got to be a better measurer. Jo came over and offered suggestions… about hems ..etc..she sews. Far Guy even helped me one day..I worked for ten minutes trying to get my bobbin filled with thread..I began to bawl and he came to my rescue. I finally admitted defeat, my sore shoulder just would not allow me to work with the heavy fabrics anymore. I asked Far Guy for help and he measured and trial fitted and I sewed and he helped to hold the heavy fabric and we got it done.
I had just enough fabric..my in the ballpark guess was pretty close. I think I need some decorative round tension rods..I just used a couple of older rods that I had lying around. The fabric is heavy..it is upholstery fabric. Why did I use upholstery fabric? Because I liked the print!
I designed the curtains for the French Door upstairs. French Doors are a pain in the butt. I did not want curtain rods..I just wanted something simple. So one day when I was in a Designers Challenge mood ..I thought up my design and sewed it up in my head. It is so much easier to sew in your head!! When I was reasonably sure it would work..I gave it a whirl. I wanted something that looked sleek with no rod. So i just sewed a panel..note I did try to match the horizontal seam.. the left curtain is perfect..the right curtain is way off..but life is not perfect all the time. My sewing skills leave much to be desired.
The panels look nice when they are down and when you want the panel up..you just roll it up and use the tabs to hold it in place. I still need to take them to Jo’s one day so she can serge the edges for me..I just want a serged edge. The top and bottoms are hemmed nicely..and the curtain is held in place with Velcro..the kind that is glued on! If I could have glued the entire curtain together I would have. Many times during this project..which took six weeks to finish..no I did not sew everyday..some days I would just sit there and imagine it sewed.. ..I wanted to quit. I bellyached and bitched..I just do not have the tolerance or the talent to sew. At times I thought that I would never finish them, at times I hoped I would just be struck dead so I could be put out of my misery. Far Guy wanted out of my misery too. The tabs that I sewed together for the french doors were supposed to be simple. Just strips of fabric sewn together and then turned right side out..the material was so thick I had to turn it with a strong pin..thread by thread. Finally I got them done and attached the Velcro..and the glue was not strong enough to hold..I tried to hand sew them on..the residue from the glue made it so difficult that Far Guy had to use a pliers to pull the needle through. I am sure that there are lots of you gals that sew that could have whipped these together in an afternoon.. I procrastinated way too long with this project..I am really glad it is all sewed up:)