What do you think?

We just got back from "Up North". Sometimes when we travel we take a different road that we have never been on before. Today was one of those days..and we found a nice surprise in a tiny little town called Lengby, Minnesota located on the shores of Spring Lake. Population 79.

Now what do you think it’s original purpose was? Far Guy says it might have been a school. What do you think? :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to What do you think?

Here’s your picture, taken by someone else:

I love finding treasures along back roads–if I can choose between highway and byway, I choose byway. I love road trips–so much to see!!

The front steps and door area are nice. It might have been a hotel. It is hard to tell without seeing if it is close to anything else or the main part of town.

It is a block off of main street sitting on a hill all by itself:)

Did you go to the flickr site I listed? It says what it is, but I didn’t want to ruin the guessing for everyone else. I typed what I thought it was into a google image search and came away with that photo. ;-)

5. Jan says:

Well now you have all of us curious! I was going to say a school, but question if the steps/door are original to the building. Answers please!!

The photo that Abra found says it is a school house. It looks like someone has been renovating it and it looks inhabited..I am not 100 percent sure it was a schoolhouse..but I will ask the next time we go through that little town:)

7. Linda Tollefson says:

It’s the old Lengby shool – my husband went to grade school there. I think it closed in the late 50′s.

I found this website talking about Minnesota towns with populations under 100; here is a snippet of what was said about Lengby (there is much more). Since this article was written Feb. 1, 2009, it is possible the renovations are complete and it s already serving as an artist’s retreat, which may be why it appeared someone was living there…

“Just west of Bagley on Highway 2 lies the Swedish village, Lengby, set on the shores of pristine Spring Lake.”

“Each little road offers up another delight – two more beautiful churches, an old brick school with the outside light on, lovely gardens throughout the community, and finally, the crown jewel, Spring Lake Recreation Park.”

“The old Lengby School, built with Lengby bricks in 1905 at a cost of $3,000.00, still stands next to the town baseball field. The school closed in 1969, and is in the process of renovation for an artist’s retreat.”

For more on this and other little Minnesota towns, check out: http://www.littleminnesota.org/