Labors of Love

Our daughter Jen resurrected some of her Grandmothers old recipes. The ones written in her Grandmothers hand. She made a scrapbook for herself, and gave a copy to her Father. Since then we commissioned another copy that was given to Far Guys sister.

When we cleaned out Far Guys Moms apartment recipes were found in drawers and tucked in books..I put them in a plastic bag..I knew they would be worth reading someday. One day Jen asked if she could take them home with her, and a recipe scrapbook was born. Jen was very close to her Grandmother, the recipe book was cathartic way to move on and forward through the grief that she felt after her Grandmas death.

The little bits of paper that these recipes are written on and the comments we make as we perfect a recipe are important. Historical in their own way.

I have a friend who started a new blog recently..she is sharing her Grandmothers recipes. Gram’s Recipe Box is a treasure trove of old recipes..I enjoy reading recipes..not so much the cooking part..but the reading part:)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Labors of Love

1. Ann says:

I love reading recipe. Can’t believe I’ve been to busy to read the site for 5 days. I never share my crust it’s the best part. Glad Dave has to do the yard cleaning. The parsnips are getting green tops time to get them out of the garden. I need your red boots yesterday when digging the mud was way deep. Dave whet out and dug a wagon load this morning when the ground was still hard.

2. ESP says:

I needed to do something with them… I still need to do something with them. Perhaps that is a good summer project…

What a great idea. I can see how putting together the book of recipes would be good for your daughter. It looks really nice too. She did a great job.

Wonderful job, ESP!! I am planning to do a similar thing with my mom’s recipe box, which contains a mixture of recipes in her hand, and both of my grandmothers’ hands. We had a sentimental day baking before Christmas as we read recipes out of the box, often written on scraps of paper that had a previous use (the back sides were old advertisements, note cards, etc.)

All of us have old recipes from old cookbooks or from our families (moms and grandmas) Wouldn’t it be great if there were a way to share them–if only for reading???? I love to read old recipes too and my favorite is my old church cookbook from mid-1940s which had recipes that were “all “from scratch”…there was hardly any convenience food in that time so the recipes are really interesting; no containers of cool whip, no packages of instant pudding, no bottle of this or can of that…..everything from scratch. (Oh some recipes had Campbell soups in them)

6. Jan says:

Oh my gosh! I have been working on scrapbooks of my mom’s recipes. 4 of them..two for my daughters and two nieces. Jen’s looks so nice. I’m stuck on the copying to get nice copies. Asked my sister tonight if she had mom’s recipe box. Will see if she shares! :) Another ‘scrappin weekend the end of April so will work more then. Lots of cute old fashioned ‘scrappin papers in the shops right now.